Sunday, February 14, 2010

And here it is, my final selection...

Not an E72, but an E75!
Let me just say, a trip to the manufacturer's flagship store of your geekette's choice is a LOVELY Valentine's Day gift. May I recommend - the Nokia store, 543 N. Michigan Ave, Chicago. Awesome place.
I had stopped researching Nokias when I hit the $300 level, which is why I hadn't looked too closely at this one. It's $399 on Nokiausa.com. But in the store, marked down because it's being discontinued soon - $319! Husband told me to take a good look at it, since the keyboard is so much bigger than the E72's. Loved it.
First plus of going to the manufacturer - things being on sale sometimes for cheaper than online.
Second plus - the phone you can handle in Walmart is a display model. The phone you can handle at Best Buy is a broken display model. You can play with one a little in a carrier's store, but you can't do much. At the Nokia store? All phones are operational, and the sales staff don't appear to work on commission - the ones at the carrier store definitely do, and it shows. Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of whether Nokia employees work on commission or not, but I can say it was a very relaxed atmosphere without pressure - "Look around, handle what you want, I'm here if you have questions..." When I went to look at the E71x at a carrier store a month or so ago, the employee was trying to see how soon I could possibly be eligible for an upgrade, AFTER we said we weren't looking for one, trying to figure out what sort of deal he could work "for us" (hello, we already said we weren't looking tp buy that day), it just wasn't that great of a shopping experience.
I have to say, I love this phone. I really, really love this phone. I don't think I've played with it enough to write a review, but it is an excellent, excellent device.
And getting an unbranded phone is quite the treat. I scrolled through my contacts and had a panicky moment - what was missing??? Then realized it was all the stupid customer service numbers the carrier puts on automatically, the page-worth of numbers that I never called, but couldn't delete, and had to scroll through every time to get to my actual contacts. Only extra number there was Nokia Customer Care. Only number I could possibly NEED, considering my husband... works for the phone company.
I am very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment